March 20, 2008
A lot of work has been done on yum in the past few months. A whole lot. We’ve kept api compliance to yum 3.0.X (yay). But a lot of speed ups have gone in. I was getting ready to upgrade my laptop to rawhide and I decided to do a few tests.
I cleared out my cache and then I run yum makecache so everything was waiting for me and I wouldn’t get weird results due to network issues. I ran this command on both yum 3.2.8 (the current released version in fedora 7 and fedora 8 ) and on 3.2.13 which just came out today:
time echo ‘n’ | sudo ./yummain.py –disablerepo=’*’ \
I’m echoing ‘n’ so the transaction doesn’t run. I just want it to setup, depsolve and exit, so I can measure memory use and time.
Yum 3.2.8: start->end of the above takes 2m11s. Max mem consumed 144MB. This is on my 1.2ghz (speed stepped to 800mhz) i686 laptop
Yum 3.2.13: takes 56s. Max mem consumed 106MB.
Same results in both cases but more than double the speed and 2/3rd the memory.
The actual dep-solve time in 3.2.13 is 28s. We didn’t have this information outputted separately for yum 3.2.8, so, I don’t have that number.
Some pretty good improvements, though.
Thanks to Florian Festi, James Antill and Tim Lauridisen for a lot of the good results we’ve gotten out of yum.