Mon 03 May 2004 00:41:52 GMT

May 3, 2004

Packing, Packing, Packing, Packaging.

Fairly stressed out friday evening from all the stuff I needed to do and the looming threat of moving. So I sat down and organized a bit, stressed a bit and dug in. Thanks to a very understanding girlfriend I accomplished a shockingly large amount this weekend.

A little list:

  • Finished main service setup for the Fedora Legacy Server.
  • Packaged, tested or QA’d about 5 or 6 packages due for the legacy updates.
  • Packed a significant amount of the girl’s stuff into boxes that I’m afraid may be too heavy to lift.🙂
  • Packed a significant amount of my stuff. This time into boxes that I think will be heavy but not impossible to lift. (Note: It’s shocking just how much of my life will fit in 4, 1.5 Cubic Foot boxes)
  • Threw away most of the odd bits of wire and crap I’d collected over the 5 yrs that I’ve been in this apartment. Filled 4 trashbags up with this crap.
  • Wrote some nice code that significantly cleans up the flow of things in yum, at least to me.

That’s good stuff.

The yum code means I won’t be passing around any silly objects as much. This is good as the code looks nicer and I’m pretty sure it’s going to make it easier for other interfaces to be put around it. There’s now a yum base class that holds major things for what yum has to do but it now also has an assortment of base methods that do most of the setup work for the programmer. Hopefully, this can mean things as simple as:

obj = yum.YumBase()

obj.doRPMDBSetup()

obj.doRepoSetup()

obj.doSackSetup()

obj.doUpdatesSetup()

(other stuff would have to have happened before, but notably not a lot of other stuff) Then you’ve got the core of information you’d need in ‘obj’ for whatever you want from the wealth of information in the yum repositories.

Some of this is owed to kdevelop which I started using this weekend. Not really much of a kde user but I decided I wanted to see IDEs with class browsers for python. So I tried out anjuta which doesn’t really do python class browsing, and then I tried kdevelop. Started looking at the tree of objects and I was unimpressed with how it looked. It was confusing and not fun so I started cleaning some of it up.

I need to see about finding a refactoring tool for python or something. I talked to a friend of mine this weekend who was telling me about the java refactoring plugins for eclipse and how easily he can say “I don’t like this method name, let’s change it and change its arguments” and then have the calls change everywhere in your program. That sounds like a good item for productivity.

This week is going to be beat-up-on-fedora-legacy-outstanding-updates week, I think. Must go to bed at reasonable hours. It’s 3:45 now and I’m fairly certain I’m going to feel like I was kicked in the head in the morning (ok, well, later in the morning)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: